Monday, May 23, 2011

Sun, Sun, Sun, Here It Comes!

The weather in NY as of late has not exactly been doing a great job in helping to remind us that it is again that time of year to grab your straw hat, sunglasses and your non-toxic sunscreen.  So, I guess I'll make it my job to remind us all.

Everyday I wash my face and when I reach for my towel I can't help but notice a long purple-blue scar that now marks a permanent reminder on my skin.  The reminder is to protect one of this lifetime’s greatest gifts.  Our skin!  I must admit before melanoma I rarely gave the whole concept of sun exposure the proper thought it deserves. 

Today, I arm my family and myself with a few basic rules:
            1.  We need a minimum of 20 minutes a day of direct sunlight for Vitamin D
            2.  The best time of day for sun exposure is before 10 a.m. & after 4 p.m.
            3.  When in the sun choose clothing to cover and protect your skin       
            4.  Choose a sunscreen that is up to date and without harmful chemicals

I think the first 3 are relatively self explanatory, don’t you?  Rule 4 is very tricky and has taken me quite a long time to find what works best and without exposing my precious gifts (that would be my children and husband on most days!) to harmful toxins or vitamins and minerals that when exposed to the sun becomes harmful.

You want to use sunscreens that do not use PABA, OXYBENZONE or RETINOL PALMITATE, better known as Vitamin A.   There have been reports that these chemicals and vitamins (that become toxic when are applied and sun exposed) may actually be causing skin cancers!

Vitamin A is wonderful for your skin but not when you soak it in to your skin and then expose your skin to sunlight.  It would be the unhealthy equivalent of taking nature’s beautiful organic offerings such as blueberries and oatmeal and heating them in the microwave in a China made # 7 toxic plastic container!  Sort of like eating McD’s new breakfast oatmeal!  Mother Nature’s product has only one ingredient in oatmeal, rolled oats.  McD’s has 11, go figure!

Here are a few sunscreens that are PABA, OXYBENZONE & VITAMIN A Free:
Aubrey Organics- SPF 30                    
Badger Sunscreen- SPF 30
California Baby- SPF 30
COOLA Baby- SPF 45
Dr. T’s Super Goop- SPF 30
ECO Skin Care- SPF 30
Kiss My Face- SPF 30
Maui Natural Organics– SPF 30
Poofy Organics-SPF 30 (Just Love That Name!)
Sun Bunnies 100% All Natural-SPF 30 (I found that one for you Kristen!)

The above should keep you busy for a while and loving the Sun.  So grab your hat, favorite kiddies and sunscreen.  Enjoy what Nature intended you to enjoy naturally.

5 comments:

  1. This is great information, Cindy. I didn't know that tidbit about Vitamin A. Yikes! It's so important to be informed.

    Living in LA, I use sunscreen just about everyday. I like Alba Botanica. It didn't make your list but I'm pretty sure it's free of the offending ingredients. Another positive is that sunscreen that's good for our skin is most likely also good for animals. These natural products tend to be against animal testing, so it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cin:
    Oh dearie this is great and useful information. I am a Kiss My Face Devotee/EWG's product also and must run out to get some very soon b/c summer is here.
    Love you honey awesome job once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    Agreed, any product that does not test on poor innocent animals is so a plus today! I was using Alba Hawiian Green Tea and unfortunately found it had one of the no no ingredients. However, they have many that are spot on and you needn't worry about the ingredients and the efficacy for protection against the harmful UVA & UVB. Please check EWG.org 2011 sunscreen information for a finding on your particular lotion.

    Take care and I hope to see you soon, Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. KK,
    Thank you for reading and posting a comment. I love Kiss My Face as well and will continue to use. Can't wait to Chitty Chat. Love you, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man. My favorite sunscreen isn't good?! I'm just seeing your comment now. EWG gives it a high hazard rating. Yikes. I'll have to start using Kiss My Face like you and Kristen. Thanks, girls, for setting me straight! It's so fun to connect with you both in the blog world, although I do wish we could be sitting drinking tea together.

    ReplyDelete